Birth of a DIY Cardboard Robot Puppet
I’ve been working on something a bit different lately. In an effort to produce some original content for YouTube, I’ve decided to get a little crafty and create one of the characters for this project myself. He’s my DIY cardboard robot puppet and his name is Franklin.
I basically used anything I had lying around the house, such as cardboard, cracker boxes, ethernet cable, toilet paper rolls, old socks, and hot glued it all together. I didn’t use any proper measuring tools, just a straight edge, a sharpie and my eyes. In the end, it resulted in a hastily put together, asymmetrical look which I think works pretty well.
Here are a few progress pics:
Franklin will be appearing in a new YouTube web series that my friend Kaipo and I are developing. It involves puppets and movie trailers. It’s kinda like Beavis and Butthead meet MST3K. This isn’t a huge series launch by any means, but over time, we hope to add a bit more in the way of character development, story arcs and whatnot.