To Europe and Back Again
Back in late August and all through September, I spent some time backpacking through Europe with my wife. We traveled by rail to quite a few cities, including London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Hallstatt, Interlaken, Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Rome, and Venice. We braved mosquitos, bedbugs, and drunk creepers on overnight trains and had a great time.
A few things we took away from the trip:
- People with roller suitcases are the bane of our existence.
- In-train entertainment is not necessary when you are traveling through the Alps and are sitting next to a perfectly good window.
- Go where all the locals eat. (i.e. Alle Vecchia Betolla in Florence. Loved the pork ribs)
- 1st class train travel can be a welcome respite from long travel days, but 2nd class is where all the interesting people are.
- Packing cubes are a godsend for backpackers.
- Backpacking far from home and for many weeks is a perfect opportunity to better know one’s self and your significant other.
Here are a few photos from the trip:
If you liked these, you can CLICK HERE to see the entire Flickr set.